Saturday, February 09, 2008

Please Correct my Punctuation.

I have, I think, a reputation for being calm, diplomatic and reasonable. Today, I had an interaction with someone who, I felt, was unnecessarily confrontational and who completely refused to entertain my ideas. Each of my statements which was made with a smile, explained calmly and given with a supporting rational was immediately discounted; not through debate, but through blanket assertions such as: "that is what is wrong with this world." When I replied, "I feel as if you misunderstand my intentions," I was countered with a terse, "I call it the way I see it." No opportunity, nor invitation to explain further. It was a most unsatisfying experience. Later, when the same person was having some difficulty and I, as a member of the team and within the scope of my job description, was able to solve the problem; I was thanked no less than five times. It felt like an odd barrage of politeness from someone who had previously been so harsh and noncommunicative. Most unsatisfying, indeed.

2 comments:

Sans Pantaloons said...

I have, I think, a reputation for being calm, diplomatic and reasonable. Today, I had an interaction with someone whom, I felt, was unnecessarily confrontational and who completely refused to entertain my ideas. Each of my statements which was made with a smile, explained calmly and given with a supporting rational was immediately discounted; not through debate, but through blanket assertions such as: "that is what is wrong with this world." When I replied, "I feel as if you misunderstand my intentions," I was countered with a terse, "I call it the way I see it." No opportunity, nor invitation to explain further. It was a most unsatisfying experience. Later, when the same person was having some difficulty and I, as a member of the team and within the scope of my job description, was able to solve the problem; I was thanked no less than five times. It felt like an odd barrage of politeness from someone who had previously been so harsh and uncommunicative. Indeed, most unsatisfying.

Later that evening, I crept back into the office, and took a dump in her petty cash drawer.

Identity Crisis said...

OK. Normally I don't allow that sort of talk on my blog but the delivery was brilliant and provided a good laugh when I needed one. Thanks for the lesson and the laugh.